Habitual curtains do not always fit into the interior. In some styles (minimalism, high-tech), blinds are more organic. Venetian blinds fit in the well-known classic interior, where they can be combined well with the usual curtains. In addition, blinds are functional and practical. With their help, you can easily change the amount of sunlight that falls into the room.
A bit of history
- Officially, the production of blinds was patented in 1841 by the American industrialist John Hampton.
The principle of operation and device blinds
- Classic blinds are made of lamellas – thin, narrow strips that can be made of metal, plastic, wood or fabric. Slats of vertical blinds are attached to the rail by means of sliders. In the horizontal models, the strips are connected by a cord, and only the upper blade is attached to the eaves.
- The eaves can be made of plastic or aluminum. On the side of the eaves are a chain and a cord for controlling the slats. The weighting is done in the lower part of the slats of vertical blinds, whereby the strips do not change their position with minimal draft.
- If you have all the casement windows open, then installing horizontal blinds at the site will not even require drilling. There are special hooks-brackets that allow you to fix the blinds on the sash. Installing the blinds in the window opening allows you to save space, but this solution justifies itself only with deep window openings, when there is enough space to open the window with the blinds closed without the risk of damage. Very often recently, such blinds are installed inside the glass of the window. This decision has a lot of positive aspects. Firstly, dust and dirt do not accumulate on the lamellas and do not need to be washed, since the double-glazed window is sealed. This is just the perfect solution for those who suffer from allergies. Secondly, it does not matter in what position the blinds will be, open, closed, lowered or raised, this will not become an obstacle to opening the window itself for airing the room. This design will not swing from the draft, annoying the inhabitants of the apartment with methodical noise, especially at night. Thin lamellas, being inside a double-glazed window are protected from accidental damage. The service life of windows with double-glazed windows with built-in blinds, according to manufacturers, can last up to 80 years, but this is the most expensive option for installing blinds.
Types of blinds for the apartment
Due to the vertically arranged slats, which are fastened to the eaves with the help of special holders, the blinds of this type are similar to the usual curtains. They are perfectly combined with large windows and fit perfectly into the arches and bay windows. Attach vertical blinds to the ceiling or wall or place them in a window opening. The control mechanism allows you to turn the slats 180 ° around its axis. Change the angle of rotation of the slats and adjust the lighting level of the room. Similar to curtains, the slats of the blinds can be moved along the window opening and pushed, for this purpose, a special cord is used.
At small window openings, horizontal blinds are usually mounted while the structure is fixed to the surface of the window frame. Lower or raise the blinds as you pull on the rope. By changing the angle of inclination of the slats, they regulate the flow of light into the room.
The blinds use a polymer or fabric cloth instead of lamellae, which is rolled up at the top of the window thanks to a special mechanism. Roller blinds can have the following types of designs:
1. Mini – have the simplest device: an open box, without guides and weights. Open from bottom to top.
2. UNI-1 – Cassette Venetian blinds with the screen moving along the side guides open upwards.
3. UNI-2 – improved cassette blinds with the possibility of installation in the lower part of the window (at the same time they open from top to bottom). Made of two different density materials that allow you to adjust the lighting level in the room.
Plissees – the most aesthetic way to design a window opening. They are perfectly combined with plastic windows. Often the window only pleats. If necessary, they can be supplemented with the usual curtains, with which they are perfectly combined (with correct color selection).
Options for the selection of blinds for the apartment.
Lamellar or web material
Such models are very practical, democratic in price and do not fade in the sun. The care is not particularly difficult – it is sufficient to wipe the surface of the slats regularly with a damp cloth or a special brush, but the slats can easily deform if they are treated carelessly.
Plastic blinds are most commonly used in office space. Their practicality makes them popular for installation on kitchen windows, loggias and balconies. Plastic products can mimic wooden blinds.
Wooden blinds look the noblest. You will look good on windows whose frames are made of wood. Due to the thickness of the slats from 2 to 4 mm, they are made of different types of wood: cedar, linden, beech, larch, abachi and other types of wood.
Fabric blinds are made of synthetic or natural fabrics impregnated with a special composition that impart dust and water repellency to the product and help to maintain a specific shape (eg wrinkling). If necessary, vertical fabric slats can be shortened themselves. To do this, remove the weighing medium from the groove in the lower part of the strip, cut the fabric and trim it.
This is a kind of vertical blind that uses different types of fabric (from two to seven) that differ in tone, density and texture. The composition may include decorative elements of plastic or wood. In most cases, this type of blind exterior resembles a composition of curtains with lambrequins.
To install the blinds in the window opening, the height of the product must be a few inches below the height of the window. Otherwise, the blinds come into contact with the windowsill. If you place the product over the window, the eaves should be 20-30 cm wider than the window opening. Vertical blinds, which are to be installed from the ceiling to the floor, must not touch the ground. There should be a distance of approx. 5 cm between the floor and slat.
If you choose vertical blinds, you prefer plastic models. They are more practical and, unlike metal elements, leave no rusty stains after wet cleaning.
She holds the slats of the vertical blinds in a single canvas. The quality of the chain depends on the color of the plastic. Preferred are products with a whiter chain without yellowing.
It is advisable to choose Venetian blinds with aluminum cornice. It is more reliable, stronger, and has a longer life than the plastic cornice, which can deform over time, resulting in blockage of the control mechanism.
Before purchasing a boring control mechanism, all elements of the design should move smoothly and without difficulty, causing no creaking or other extraneous noise.
Which blinds to choose for the apartment
Customer questions & answers
- NO they are not. They are some completely different mechanism to hang. You have to either mount them to the ceiling of your window frame, or to the wall on either side of the window frame!
- No, they are not room darkening, but they keep the sun out.
- There is it is not complicated I would look for a video on U-Tube to show you it involves cutting at right length and shortening them. Not hard but a video would help.
- No, there is no odor.
- Yes. Packet has everything you’ll need as to hanging the blinds.
- no additional adhesives are needed, these are really great, they roll up good, look good and the black really keep the sun out, I now have them on all the windows, good buy
- Not so much. While they will reduce the amount of light/heat that gets through, they will not work as well as heavy blinds. For a temporary fix they may be ok.
- i don’t see why not as long as the shade is long and wide enough. They are cut down to fit if your door is smaller that the size of the shade. The only thing I will say about this fabric shade is they are very stiff, so if you wish to raise it, you will need a better clip than is provided. The clip that is provided isn’t big enough to accommodate the thickness of the shade when raised up.